In other words, it’s closely connected to the verb “desert”. As in “abandon” or “leave”.
(And in the Mojave…)
By the way – do I really know beforehand that I would be abandoned on a deserted island, and therefore be able to prepare myself and pick out 5 necessary items to bring?
Kind of ridiculous! Isn’t it?
Nevertheless, my first thought was: Why is the island deserted?
Is there no people because it’s poisonous in some way? The island itself might be poisoned my some terrible nuclear power plants that have exploded – or for that matter, being attacked with nuclear bombs by enemy forces.
Not much of an island to land on, so I might just as well already be dead.
Would be much better off then.
Or is it maybe inhabited by wild dangerous animals, poisonous spiders and big man-eating serpents? Oh my oh my!!!
Or maybe! Maybe this is the island, where the flame-throwing dragons live!!!
Either way, then I might as well already be dead… et cetera et cetera…
But! Okay! For the sake of it….
Let’s assume I know it beforehand…
Let’s assume I therefore could prepare myself for it…
Let’s assume there’s enough food and water on the island so I wouldn’t bother about that…
Let’s assume it is a fairly warm and comfortable island…
Let’s assume I mustn’t count in the clothes I wear and the glasses on my nose…
SO! Let’s concentrate on the fun stuff!
I guess it would be silly to bring the Mac, the iPad or the iPhone (I would miss them), since there hardly would be any electricity. Not on a deserted island. And without electricity, the batteries soon will die anyway, so it wouldn’t be much of an help to contact the civilisation.
I would bring ONE good friend. R. He is intelligent, funny, lovable, knows lots and lots of stuff, he can talk about all and everything – and he can also remain silent and let things just be. He’s a philosopher in the best of ways. As well as an excellent handy man!
I would bring ONE Big Bag full of matches and lighters. To lit a fire in cold nights. To be able to prepare food, boil the water to get rid of parasites. To scare away wild animals.
I would bring ONE big tarpaulin. To sleep on, or if there after all is no drinkable water – to keep as a combined shelter and to collect water on. Rain or at least the dew during night.
I would bring ONE really good knife. Not to big and not to small. Sharp as a razor blade.
Can’t do outdoor living without a good knife.
I would bring ONE reasonably big carrier bag with books. Stephen Kings story about the Dark Tower (the seven first parts), and the bible. And any other book that I could fit in to the bag.
For goodness sake! If I were about to land on a deserted island and knew about in beforehand, as the WP deviously suggests, why on earth would I be satisfied with only 5 items? I could bring whatever I wanted – or I could chose not to go to the island at all!
If I really was travelling by boat or by airplane and an accident happened that would throw me away to some small lonely island with just a couple of palms and a lot of sand – who on earth would have time to think clearly and collect items that might help me survive on this godforsaken island. (Pioohhh… long sentence…)
Or maybe it isn’t godforsaken after all, this island. It’s maybe just IT!
(If I’ve made terribly lot of mistakes when writing this in english,
PLEASE FORGIVE ME!
I am after all more used to read and write in swedish.)
A classic question, revisited: what are the five items you must have on a deserted island?Photographers, artists, poets: show us NECESSITIES.
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | soulfoodwords
- Charge your phone | Photos to inspire you
- Alone in a Deserted Island. | paperdollsletter
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Basically Beyond Basic
- Five Items | Geek Ergo Sum
- 5 Items | Jab and Cross followed by Cross and Stitch
- Five Items | Insanitree
- Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- Undeniable | Active Army Wife
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Joanne Lynn
- What Five Things Would You Not Want? (This Prompt Is Stupid) | The Jittery Goat
- The simple bare necessities of life | RPMAS
- Necessities | The Magic Black Book
- Daily Prompt: Five Items « cognitive reflection
- 5 Elements of Baking | A Crazy Chef
- Daily Prompt: My Five Must Have’s | Musings&Rants
- Desert Island Day Dreaming | Eyes to Heart
- CAstaway – True Story | crookedeyebrows
- My Desert Island Necessities | Evelinasec’s Blog
- Across the Blank Gap
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Musical Foodie Love
- Media to Survive? | Across the Blank Gap
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: Five Items – Really?
- Daily Prompt: Queen of the Island | One Starving Activist
- Daily Prompt : Five Items.. A HELP SIGN ? | LoudThoughtsVoicedOut
- Daily prompt: Five things | ferwam
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Finding Life
- Deserted Island? Yes please! | Not a Punk Rocker
- The Lurker’s List | Necessities On A Deserted Island
- NEEDS VERSUS WANTS? | Emotional Fitness
- DP Challenge: Five Must Have Items (Smoke Monster Ball Puncher is a Must!) « Morning Pages
- Five Items | Flowers and Breezes
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Memory Bank of the Nocturnal
- The Bear Necessities… | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: Five Items » My Life, My Way, My Words
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Wordz on a Page
- Castaway |
- Passport to Life | Upstairs Productions
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Awl and Scribe
- Five Items | Finale to an Entrance
- Natural Selection | bronte’s world
- DAILY PROMPT: PACKING FOR THE ISLAND – A PERFECT WORLD | SERENDIPITY
- The Courage to Start | The Land Slide Photography
- Take A Trip With Me! Please? | Mountains or Molehills
- Bring me home | Life is great
- Take five. | Hope* the happy hugger
- Lost at Sea | The Joyful Soul
- Bare Necessities | A Room of One’s Own
- Daily Prompt: Five Items | Crow Arrow, Inc.
- Deserted Island! Five Items…?! | It’s my blog, innit…
- Sand, Serenity and Sadness (The Daily Prompt – Five Items) | Simply Silent
- Necessities | Rebecca Barray
- How To Avoid The Media In Five Easy Steps | Just Visiting This Planet
- Daily Prompt: 5 Items | eBook Sharing
- Oh the Priorities | The Pigeon Blog
- Five Items | The Nameless One
- My Five Items | emilykarn
- The Isle of Bliss | A.C. Melody
- Five Items | The Cutter Rambles
- My Desert Island Necessities | Poeme Sur Le Web Blog
- Five Items: Necessities – Free Shipping + $5 Discount Link – Khana’s Web @ Society6 | Khana’s Web
- Five Items: Necessities | My Conscious Self
- These Are Five of My Favorite Things